COSEE Great Lakes Goals
With other COSEEs we share the goals of
- inspiring citizens to become more scientifically literate and environmentally responsible through standards-based science curricula and programs that bridge the ocean and freshwater sciences, and
- creating dynamic linkages between the education and research community.
COSEE Great Lakes will also add value to the National COSEE Network by
- adding critical freshwater components through the inclusion of the Great Lakes,
- improving ocean/Great Lakes sciences education throughout the Great Lakes region, home to 1/4 of our nation’s population, and
- involving regional Tribal educational institutions, teachers and students in enhancing ocean/Great Lakes science literacy.
COSEE Great Lakes Objectives
Our collaboration of educators, research scientists and informal institutions seeks to
- Facilitate collaboration between Great Lakes researchers and educators and students, Grades 4-10.
- Assist research scientists to gain better access to educational organizations and use appropriate pedagogy in relating the Great Lakes/ocean science story.
- Enhance teacher capabilities for accessing science information and delivering high quality educational programs in Great Lakes/ocean sciences.
- Integrate ocean and Great Lakes research into existing high quality science education materials.
- Make current research findings about the Great Lakes available to the public to encourage public science literacy and appreciation of water resources.
- Increase access to Great Lakes/ocean science information for underrepresented groups.
- Facilitate direct student connections to Great Lakes/ocean science experiences.
- Collaborate with existing COSEEs in uniquely synergistic ways.